Upgrade your breakfast pastry with these banana muffins.
Can muffins be a healthy breakfast? Sometimes. And in this case, yes, because these banana muffins are made with wholesome ingredients. These babies are satisfying enough to eat for breakfast – and they won’t leave you with a sugar crash in an hour. Oh, and did I mention they taste like banana bread? Well, they do.
How many of you have waited in line at a coffee shop and stared at the display case full of bakery goods? Muffins, scones, cinnamon rolls, you name it and it’s there, tempting you. Eventually, you give in to that blueberry muffin because it seemed “healthy”… even if you know it has so much sugar it might as well be cake.
Well, these kick out the not-so-nutritious ingredients like refined flour and sugar that are found in most store-bought muffins for a healthy on-the-go breakfast.
Time: 18-23 minutes
When to eat it: breakfast, dessert, snack (whenever you’re craving something sweet)
Perks: Not much sugar, can be gluten-free, can be reheated, healthy and satisfying
Sh*t you need:
- Nonstick cooking spray (optional)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (can substitute for gluten free flours like brown rice, banana, buckwheat, etc.)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. fine sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup raw honey
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup extra-virgin organic coconut oil, melted
- 1½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. 2. Line 12 muffin muffin and lightly coat it with cooking spray. 3. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Mix well. Set aside. 4. Combine egg, honey, almond milk, oil, and extract in a medium bowl. Mix well. 5. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Mix until just blended. 6. Mix in the mashed bananas. 7. Evenly divide batter among prepared muffin cups. 8. Bake 18 to 23 minutes, or until tester inserted into the center comes out clean. 9. Transfer muffins to rack to cool. Enjoy!
Don’t forget to check out these great recipes: