They’re packed with antioxidants and vitamins, taste like a healthier ice cream, and are usually topped so heavily you can’t see what’s at the base of the bowl. Any guesses?
If you guessed acai bowls, you deserve an acai bowl yourself (pronounced ah-sigh-ee for all of those who are still afraid to say it out loud).
But please don’t go out and spend your paycheck on it, because I’m here to show you just how simple making one at home can really be.
Smoothie bowls have taken the health and pop-culture world by storm lately, and for once, I am 100% on board. My philosophy is: why drink something when you can eat it?
Sure, smoothies are great, but I love nothing more than spooning a thick bite of banana-acai-peanut butter goodness into my mouth, no matter what the occasion. After trying this recipe, I’m sure you all will be able to relate.
What makes acai so great? Let me tell ya, it lives up to the hype. Acai is:
- Packed with antioxidants (10x that of grapes!).
- Low in sugar so your insulin won’t spike, making it a great option for people of all health backgrounds.
- Loaded with iron, calcium, Vitamin A, and fiber.
- Rich with flavonoids– plant-based pigments that help fight against free radicals.
- Suspected to help prevent issues including arthritis, inflammation, obesity, erectile dysfunction, and more.
Note: I personally prefer the frozen packs to powdered acai as it provides a lot of texture and thickness to the smoothie, but powdered acai will provide the same health benefits.
Basic Acai Bowl
Time: 5 minutes
When to Eat It: Whenever
Perks: Read above
Sh*t You Absolutely Need:
1 pack Sambazon Acai
1 banana (frozen for a thick smoothie, fresh for thinner)
1/4-1/2 cup milk of choice
Sh*t You Might Want, But Do Not Necessarily Need:
1 tsp Sun Potion ashwagandha powder (aids stress, anxiety, and energy levels when taken over a long period of time)
1 scoop Further Food collagen peptides (helps strengthen hair, nails, and skin, provides most of the matrix of connective tissue)
1 tsp maca powder (helps balance hormones & energy levels)
1 scoop protein powder of choice (for the gains!)
1 tsp ground flax seeds
Most Importantly… Topping Ideas:
Nut butter of choice
Bananas/frozen or fresh berries
Pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Place all the sh*t you need and whatever you may want but not need in a blender, and blend, blend, blend!*
- Transfer to a bowl, scraping the bottom of the blender to get all of the mixture.
- Top with whatever your heart desires and devour!
*The less milk you begin with, the better; then you are better able to gauge how much you need for the smoothie to blend without thinning. I would recommend starting with a splash of milk, crushing up the pack and banana, and blending before adding more liquid a little at a time.
Check out these articles too: